Rottweilers are popular for their powerful and protective nature. They are loyal, and so they can prove to be dangerous when they show aggression to intruders. However, Rottweilers are safe to be used as pets and they usually only become dangerous when they see their owners in trouble.
What Injuries Can Be Caused By Rottweilers?
While typically not harmful, a dangerous rottweiler can cause significant dog bite injuries, including cuts, bruises, bite marks, scarring, broken bones, torn flesh or muscles, bleeding, and more.
Common rottweiler injuries include head injuries, neck injuries, brain injuries, facial disfigurement, lacerations, and more. These injuries can have a permanent effect on the physical and mental well-being of victims.
Is A Rottweiler Dangerous For A Family?
Rottweilers are generally loyal to a family. A rottweiler will turn out to be protective of its owners if it is raised and trained to do so. Thus, rottweilers are commonly used as excellent guard dogs.
It’s vital that children are taught to behave around animals and pets. Children should not be unattended or alone when they are with dogs. Studies estimate that most attacks on children happen when the children are alone, whether the dog is small or large.
What Are Some Myths About Rottweilers?
In a study conducted by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in 2000, rottweilers were reported to be the breed of dog most likely to be involved in a fatal attack in the preceding ten years. Thus, rottweilers have gotten a bit of a poor reputation. Though most of the time the breed does not present any issues, serious and deadly attacks do happen.
Following are some persistent myths about the breed:
- Rottweilers are aggressive and vicious: While rottweilers are strong and defensive if they’re trained to be, this is not necessarily the case. In a study reported in The Atlantic, chihuahuas are more aggressive than rottweilers are.
- Children are vulnerable prey for the breed: If given proper training, rottweilers are often highly protective of children.
- Rottweilers are impossible to train: In fact, rottweilers enjoy learning and are intelligent enough to grasp their training quickly.
They are not loyal to their owners: According to the American Kennel Club, Rottweilers rank 8th in the US for breeds that are known for their loyalty.
Interesting Facts About Rottweilers That May Surprise You
Reports from DogsBite.org say that rottweilers and pitbulls have caused 76% of bites, hurting nearly 400 people from 2005 to 2019. In 2019, rottweilers caused 8% of fatal dog attacks.
Some more interesting facts about the breed include:
- Rottweilers have been used as police dogs since 1901
- Rottweilers are considered descendants of Roman drover dogs
- In 1931, the Rottweiler’s name was included in the AKC Stud Book
If you were bitten by a dog, you can contact our dog bite lawyers today for your free consultation. In this discussion, we will review your injuries and the potential for a personal injury case.
Our experienced and compassionate law firm staff can help you seek medical care and pursue the compensation you need for your pain and suffering.