Scenario of Car Accidents in Atlantic City
Many Atlantic City residents rely on their personal cars to get to where they need to go, whether it is work, school, or recreation. However, accidents are a frequent occurrence in the state, especially on its most heavily traveled roads.
Getting involved in one of these motor vehicle crashes can change your life forever. Both the physical injuries you suffered and the damage to your property could be substantial. Worse yet, someone else may have lost their life in the crash.
If you are one of these victims of another person’s mistake on the road, it is important that you understand what options you have for seeking compensation for your accident-related losses.
How to Prove Negligence in Atlantic City?
We examine the three different ways that Atlantic City residents can seek restitution for car accident-related losses.
The first, and most common, way accident victims can pursue compensation for their losses is by filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. If an accident victim is able to successfully prove all four points, he or she will be entitled to receive monetary restitution for their losses.
To prove negligence in these cases, an accident victim must show that:
- The defendant owed him or her a duty of care;
- The defendant breached that duty;
- The claimant’s injuries were the direct result of the defendant’s breach; and
- The damages resulting from those injuries (often, medical bills) are real and verifiable.
The second way is by pursuing a negligence claim against the entity responsible for roadway maintenance. In some cases, the accidents that result in injuries and property damage could have been avoided if the roadway or intersection where they occurred were safer. When this occurs, accident victims may be able to pursue compensation from the owners of the roads where those accidents occurred.
Oftentimes, these are public entities like municipalities or counties. If an accident victim can prove that a dangerous condition on the roadway directly caused their accident-related injuries, they may be entitled to compensation for those losses either through a settlement or a jury trial.
Finally, some accidents are caused by privately owned vehicles with defective parts or designs that are unreasonably dangerous. In these types of cases, accident victims may be able to file a “strict liability” claim against the manufacturer of the defective vehicles or defective parts. These are especially important if you have suffered injuries that are not readily apparent or verifiable at the scene of the accident. For example, some auto defects may cause long-term or chronic injuries that are not immediately apparent following a car crash.
In all three types of cases, it is important to understand what legal options you have for securing compensation for your accident-related losses. It is important that you contact a knowledgeable Atlantic City car Accident lawyer at your earliest convenience to discuss the details of your accident and the legal options available to you for recovering damages.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Atlantic City
By understanding what puts Atlantic City drivers at risk for car accidents, you can help reduce the number of motor vehicle collisions that occur on our roads. You can also be prepared to react should an accident happen to you or your loved ones.
Some of the most common causes of Atlantic City car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless or aggressive driving, such as tailgating and unsafe lane changes
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Dangerous road conditions, such as potholes, poor visibility, and construction
- Poor weather that results in icy or slick roads
If you’ve been hurt in an Atlantic City car accident, an auto accident law firm can help you obtain compensation for your injuries and vehicle damage by holding the negligent party responsible.
What Should You Do if You Have a Car Accident in Atlantic City ?
If you have a car accident, it is important to keep the following things in mind to protect your safety and the viability of a future legal claim:
- Seek immediate medical attention for any potential injuries. It is important to remember that not all injuries are readily apparent in the immediate aftermath of an accident.
- Do not leave the scene of an accident until it is appropriate to do so. If you must leave your vehicle, be sure to turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights or otherwise ensure that it is legally parked.
- Get the names and contact information for all parties involved in the accident. Record the time, date, location, and weather conditions as well as the names of any witnesses to the accident.
- Do not speak with insurance representatives before speaking with a legal professional. Insurance companies use deception and intimidation tactics to settle claims quickly and for less compensation.
- Report any damage or injuries to law enforcement authorities when they arrive at the scene of an accident.
- Contact your insurance company as soon after an accident as possible to report the situation.
- Hire an experienced attorney to help you navigate the claims process. You can contact an Atlantic City personal injury lawyer.
How Can Atlantic City Auto Accident Lawyers Help You?
After a motor vehicle crash, an experienced lawyer for car accidents can help you navigate the aftermath. They can help you keep track of deadlines, collect evidence, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and — if necessary — represent you in court.
Our Atlantic City car accident attorneys have been providing top-quality legal representation for individuals and families who have been injured by the negligence or wrongdoing of others for quite some time. Our success in helping prevent financial hardship, recovering full compensation for our clients’ injuries, and protecting their rights has earned us high ratings from past clients.
For more information on how an attorney for car accidents can help you and your family recover the compensation you deserve for your accident-related injuries and damages, please contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation.