Need Legal Support? Contact a Lancaster Car Accident Lawyer
Getting into a car accident in Philadelphia can be incredibly stressful and result in extensive damage. After a crash, victims may not know what to do or where to turn for help. However, knowing what steps to take after a car accident can help victims receive compensation from insurance companies and protect their own health and safety, as well as the safety of others.
However, filing a claim for an injury resulting from a car accident is not always simple. After a crash, not everyone can successfully navigate the claims process on their own without a lawyer’s advice. It is advisable to seek assistance from an experienced attorney as soon as possible following a car crash. Every car crash is unique. There are various factors involved in determining liability, the potential damages, and your eligibility for insurance benefits. Additionally, there are deadlines associated with each case.
We have compiled the article below to provide helpful information for you to consider following a collision. We hope this information is helpful for anyone who has suffered damages because of another driver’s negligence.
It is advisable to contact an attorney as soon as possible following a car crash, as certain actions must be taken quickly in order for your case to proceed. Some of those actions include contacting witnesses, photographing damage to vehicles and property, preserving evidence (e.g., skid marks, debris, etc.), and preserving the defective vehicle itself.
If you do not already have a lawyer, there are several sites online where you can find a qualified Lancaster personal injury attorney. One option is to visit the website of the state in which you plan to file a lawsuit. Most state bar associations provide free or low-cost referrals to qualified attorneys. This service is often available by calling the state bar association or visiting its website.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Lancaster
Car crashes are a common occurrence across the state’s busy roadways, especially during rush-hour traffic. Some of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents in Philadelphia include:
- Following too closely
- Distracted driving
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Vehicle malfunctions
- Defective roadways or signage
- Poorly maintained roads
While these causes sometimes lead to fatalities, they can also cause injuries, both minor and severe. In the event of a car accident in which you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, hiring the best lawyer that you can maybe an effective way to seek the compensation you deserve for your losses.
What Should You Do if You Have a Car Accident in Lancaster?
If you have been injured in a car crash, you probably have many questions immediately following the collision: What do I do now? Where will my medical treatment take place? Who will pay for my damages or injuries? Will I be able to find an experienced legal professional near me?
With every car crash comes the potential to suffer substantial injuries. They can range from mild to severe and can affect people in different ways. Some of the most common injuries include whiplash, broken bones, and back injuries.
It is very important to follow the advice of your medical provider. If you do not receive proper treatment for your injuries, it could greatly affect your long-term prognosis. You may not recover as fully as you could have otherwise, and this may impact your daily life as well as the future of any legal case you bring against the negligent party.
Victims are advised to keep thorough documentation of any injuries they or others experienced in the car accident. Recording details surrounding the car accident — including names and contact information of witnesses, license plate numbers, telephone numbers called after the crash, medical treatment received, doctors’ notes, and photographs of injuries — can be helpful in the claims process.
After an accident, victims should also contact their insurance companies to notify them of the collision and seek medical help for any injuries received in the car accident.
Here are additional helpful tips to keep in mind after a crash that may help you strengthen your potential claim for compensation:
- The first thing to determine after any car crash is whether anyone has been injured. If so, it is important to seek immediate medical treatment.
- Contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after receiving medical treatment or being released from the hospital.
- To preserve evidence, avoid having a friend or family member move your car from its collision location, as this may damage important evidence related to the crash. Also, do not allow anyone to drive your car following a crash. This can be seen by the insurance company or by law enforcement as an attempt to tamper with the evidence.
- Take photographs of your car and any property damaged during the crash while these items are still at the accident scene.
How Can a Lancaster Auto Accident Attorney Help You?
An auto accident attorney can help you avoid some of the common pitfalls that many car crash victims encounter, which have the potential to preclude recovery for the damages they have incurred. After a car accident, here are four things that a lawyer would generally advise that you not do:
- You should not leave the scene before exchanging insurance information with the other driver.
- You should not move your car from its current position if it is obstructing traffic or you fear that it may catch fire. However, backing up to proceed to a nearby location or moving your car into a parking lot immediately following an accident to avoid interfering with traffic is permissible in some circumstances.
- You should not give a recorded statement to the other driver or their insurance company without an attorney present.
- You should not accept any settlement offer before consulting with an experienced PA personal injury lawyer.
By remembering these tips, you can increase your chances of receiving compensation that will help pay for the costs associated with your injuries. Contact our law firm today to learn how we can fight for your rights after an accident.