Bedsores, also frequently known as decubitus ulcers and pressure sores, are serious injuries that often occur as the result of nursing home neglect. These significant and painful injuries often occur as the result too much pressure being placed on a body part or area for too long of a period of time. The law requires that a nursing home prevent bedsores from occurring on your loved ones. If your loved one is experiencing or has experienced bedsores, you must contact the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman immediately!
HOW DO BEDSORES OCCUR?
Bedsores occur as the result of a multitude of factors which can include:
- Failure to reposition a patient
- A patient’s inability to move
- Wet sheets
- Unchanged diapers/undergarments
- Failure of a medical facility to take appropriate preventative measures
WHO IS AT HIGH RISK?
There are many types of persons who are deemed at “high-risk” to contract bedsores. These include, but are not limited to:
It is especially important for a nursing home to take extra precaution with people who cannot change position on their own. These people are at enhanced risk for bedsores because they are constantly in the same position and, therefore, putting constant pressure on the same parts of their body. A person’s immobile position does not need to occur for long for bed sores to develop.
- Patients who are immobilized
- Patients who are sedated
- Patients who have long term spinal injuries
- Patients who are elderly
- Patients who reside in a nursing home
- Patients who are unable to feel pain or know that a bedsore is developing
- Patients who are in a coma (comatose)
- Patients who are not eating or drinking properly (malnutrition)
- Patients who are ill
- Patients who have a medical condition
- Patients who are incontinent
- Patients who are suddenly losing weight
- Patients who are not mentally aware
- Patients who smoke
- Patients who have diabetes
YOUR LOVED ONES PROTECTED YOU. NOW ITS YOUR TURN TO PROTECT THEM!
If you or your loved one has suffered bedsores, then you should contact the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman immediately. Our office will set up a FREE consultation to discuss all aspects of your situation. We will go over all of the facts of your case and set up a plan for how we can help. We will also take steps to help protect the evidence necessary to pursue your claim, which may include:
- Obtaining pictures of the bedsores. (We always suggest that you start taking pictures immediately upon any suspicion that a nursing home neglect situation has occurred)
- Obtaining the medical records of the injured party
- Determining his or her medical history
- Inquiring into whether they received enough food and fluids
- Inquiring into whether they were properly cared for, including required position changes
- Determining the number, size, and severity of the current bedsores
- Determining any additional complications that may have occurred as the result of the nursing homes improper care
At the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman, we take pride in providing individualized and personal service to each and every one of our clients. We will do the same for you and your loved one. And, as always, our services are provided with our No Fee Guarantee. This means that you will never pay a single fee unless and until we recover money for you and your loved one. There is no reason for delay. The doctors, nurses, and medical facilities have insurance companies and attorneys working for them. You should too. Contact the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman today for your FREE consultation.