Falls are unfortunately a common occurrence for the elderly. This, along with the fact that the largest single cause of falls among the elderly is believed to occur at hospitals and nursing homes, is cause for alarm. When an elderly person falls, the risk of injury compared to a younger person in significantly magnified.
The law requires that hospitals and nursing homes take reasonable steps to prevent your loved ones from suffering traumatic falls. If your loved one is experiencing or has experienced a slip and fall or trip and fall at a hospital, you must contact the Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyer immediately
HOW DO FALLS OFTEN OCCUR?
Hospital and nursing home falls occur as the result of a multitude of factors which can include:
- Allowing a person to walk on their own that should have been accompanied by staff
- Failure to properly supervise an elderly person
- Improperly placed equipment
- Wet floors
- Lack of adequate equipment
- Improper supervision
- Improper transfers
It is especially important for a nursing home to take extra precaution with people who are wheelchair bound or use canes. These patients are at increased risk for falls. It is also important that any spills that occur on the premises are immediately cleaned up. Many times elderly persons have multiple medical issues including both vision and walking difficulties. If person has difficulties walking and cannot adequately see the danger in front of them, they are at enhanced risk for tripping and falling on anything.
YOUR LOVED ONES PROTECTED YOU. NOW ITS YOUR TURN TO PROTECT THEM!
If you or your loved one has suffered from a trip and fall or slip and fall, then you should contact the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman immediately. Our office will set up a FREE consultation to discuss all aspects of your situation. We will go over all of the facts of your case and set up a plan for how we can help. We will also take steps to help protect the evidence necessary to pursue your claim, which may include:
- Obtaining pictures of the location. (We always suggest that you start taking pictures immediately upon any suspicion that a nursing home neglect situation has occurred)
- Obtaining the medical records of the injured party
- Determining his or her medical history
- Inquiring into whether they were properly supervised
- Inquiring into whether they were properly cared for, including the provision of proper safety equipment
At the Law Offices of Samuel Fishman, we take pride in providing individualized and personal service to each and every one of our clients. We will do the same for you and your loved one. And, as always, our services are provided with our No Fee Guarantee. This means that you will never pay a single fee unless and until we recover money for you and your loved one. There is no reason for delay. The doctors, nurses, and medical facilities have insurance companies and attorneys working for them. You should too.